As you may already have guessed, I’m in love with beautiful title and numbers, so today I’d like to share my list of top 18 movies that will hit the big screen in 2018. I would also provide a reason to watch these movies (hereinafter referred to as RTW) where we know it and an expected release date if known.
List of the Most Desired Movies
Maze Runner: The Death Cure is about to see the world on January 26, opening our list of movies which are worth both waiting and watching. I hope to see the epic finale to the Saga as Tomas is trying to find a cure for a deadly virus. Judging by the trailers and spoilers all over the Internet, not only he will find himself in the worst labyrinth ever, deal with the plague wiping a human race but will also face some serious moral conflicts along the way.
RTW: we are promised to have answers to all questions one may have from previous two chapters.
Black Panther is taking over, hitting the big screen on February 16, 2018. Following a series of Marvel films, this one is supposed to be a better one (yeap, fingers crossed).
RTW: one of the few movies featuring a colored-skin main hero (except for Blade) and having a reference to an African tribe. Also it has some beautiful landscapes and futuristic moments.
Moving on to Annihilation (February 23, 2018), I have to admit I’m not a huge fan of Nataly Portman, thought this movie is somewhat intriguing. It is based on the best-selling novel and considering the test screening is supposed to be an extraordinary piece of its genre.
RTW: intellectual and complicated, science fantasy and horror film covers a walk into the environmental disaster zone. Considering recent environmental crisis must be worth watching.
March 9, 2018, will open with an adaptation of Madeleine L'Engle's brilliant book, A Wrinkle in Time. It’s the story of a girl whose father has disappeared and she tries to find him while having to deal with a universe-wide evil.
RWT: do I even have to remind you about Oprah Winfrey? And of course, it will be a great movie with breathtaking views.
Moving on to Tomb Raider (March 16, 2018), I may have to disappoint those of you who are not aware of the fact Angelina Jolie is not a part of this movie. However, I can assure you this movie is bombastic, as it explains the beginning of the story, has a good mix of adrenaline and sarcastic comments.
RTW: I’m wondering if Alicia Vikander can stand up to Angelina.
With a release of the 4th season of Black Mirror, I’m so waiting for this movie and Ready Player One is arriving on March 30, 2018. Having an amazing literary reference to ‘the lost generation,’ this movie pictures the notorious world of 2045.
RTW: Oasis, a virtual universe, is taking over a real world. People can be anyone or anything, finding the hidden gem of this universe in a deathly adventure.
- Avengers: Infinity War (May 4, 2018). I wish you could see a smirk on my face while I was writing this, but I guess there is only one way to find out. RTW: I will be watching it for all the special effects they added and Benedict Cumberbatch. Moreover, I’m wondering if the villain will be better than Steppenwolf in Justice League.
- If you read our blog from time to time, you know I’m a fan of Star Wars and having a movie about Han Solo is the least to say a-maz-ing! Please welcome with a round of applause, Han Solo: a Star Wars Story will be first shown on May 25, 2018. Not sure if this movie will be as great without Harrison Ford nevertheless, the story of a cynical galactic smuggler and his true friend Chewbacca is so worth watching!
- Ocean's 8 is arriving at your theaters on June 8, 2018, making a big deal as this is a story of 8 women! Getting a crew to rob a ball and get somewhat 100K in jewelry. It is all about great garments, beautiful people, and fortune of diamonds. If you have ever watched Ocean’s Trilogy before, you know nothing goes well and smooth. RTW: look at the cast and you won’t need any other reasons!
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is a fifth movie of the franchise and is released on June 22, 2018. As they say, the road to hell is… well you know the ending. Seems like this plot has the same issues.
RTW: if you are a fan, you won’t need any reasons. For everyone else, watch this movie and decide for yourself whether these creatures are meant to be.
- The further is the release date, the less we know about the plot and actors. This can be applied to Mission: Impossible 6, the only thing we can be sure about is that we will see new adventures of Ethan Hunt hopping all over the world.
Venom (Marvel Universe) is to see the world on October 5, 2018. I have my hopes high, as it will be produced by Sony and will be one of those movies that feature bad guys, rather than sugary superheroes we are sick of.
RTW: of course Tom Hardy himself.
- First Man is a movie about Neil Armstrong that is supposed to see the world on October 12, 2018. We don’t have much information about it yet, but aren’t you at least curious to learn more about the first American who walked in space?
- Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald is the second expansion pack of Potterverse will bewitch us on November 16, 2018. It will take us to Paris to unveil the conflict between Dumbledore and Grindelwald. This is a movie for those who are the pride fans of Harry Potter Universe.
Despite many jokes that casting Jason Momoa was the overcompensation for Aquaman, I truly believe this movie will shake the grounds on December 21, 2018.
RTW: along with expected invaders, this movie also touches the environmental theme.
- And the best Christmas present I could ever ask for is a tribute to one and only Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody on December 25, 2018, covering a 15-year period of band’s fame. Hoping to hear some music and walk the steps of a larger-than-world musician.
- Mary Poppins Returns and is just in time for Christmas. An upcoming sequel will be starring Emily Blunt as a beloved nanny with a famous carpet bag. Consider me intrigued, to say the least.
- The Irishman hopefully sees the world on December 31st, 2018 starring Robert De Niro and Al Pacino and promises to be one of the greatest movies from Martin Scorsese. Do you need any other reasons to watch?
And a little bonus for those of you who have covered the whole article! This is now a movie in its traditional sense, but on March 23, 2018, you will be able to watch Isle of Dogs: a story of a little boy who is brave enough to resist Japanese authorities in order to find his dog.